I’ve been tagged by softspoken to reveal seven random things about me. Since I’ve already done the 16 things, I’ve tried to make these a bit more in depth, and hopefully a decent mix of fluffy and serious.
1. My sister and I have the same birthday, two years apart (she’s younger). This is because our parents purposefully decided that they wanted their kids to have birthdays in either May or June. My sister’s due date was actually three days before mine, but she decided to hold on to be my birthday present. Dave thinks its absolutely freaking hilarious that my parents decided to plan this way, he thinks its so German to plan the moment of conception with military precision.
2. When we were little my sister and I used to go round telling everyone we were twins. We look nothing like each other and obviously she’s two years younger, but we’re Geminis and in German the word for Gemini and twin is the same. We thought it was very funny anyway.
3. I was an awkward spotty teenager with crap hair and although I know that I look nice enough now, I still kind of think of myself that way. Whenever people tell me they fancy me or that I look hot (I mean really. Cute? probably. Pretty? maybe. Hot? definitely not.) or even just pay me a compliment about my looks I always on some level assume that they’re joking and I never know how to react.
4. Dave and I have an almost unlimited number of pet names for one another. They tend to be a random combination of the words, monkey, slug, brain and baby. At the moment I favour all things monkey related. Monkeynuts!
5. I am very ambivalent about diets. I’ve had eating disorders in the past, and I know I have the capacity to take things way too far, so I just try to stay away from any sort of food reduction or rules about what I can and cannot eat (except meat, but that’s a different story). I think if you have a healthy relationship with food, accept your body as it is and eat what you want, you’ll be ok in the end. And I do, and I am. I know what dieting can do to people’s mental health, I see friends and acquaintances who obsess over food and are racked by guilt when they don’t exercise for a couple of days, and I just think if that is the price of being thin, then frankly I don’t want to be. And yet, I wouldn’t mind at all being a stone lighter. I really wouldn’t.
6. I do drink A LOT of tea. When I was writing my undergrad dissertation, I was drinking at least 10 cups a day for at least two weeks (I was working at home and was constantly putting the kettle on in an attempt to avoid work). I then went cold turkey and had a massive headache for 3 days.
7. I’ve been thinking a lot about marriage recently. I’m at that age where all my friends are getting married and suddenly Dave and I have started talking about it too, all the time. We’ve even sort of started thinking about the wedding and the honeymoon, but we’re not engaged. It’s a surreal situation. We agree we will eventually get married before we have kids, but not until then. Neither of us believes in it as a romantic ideal. I mean, we’ve been together for 9 years, I love him, he loves me, we know we want to be forever, we’re not religious, so why get married now? The big commitments were moving in together (7 years ago) and getting a mortgage together (2 years ago), and the big scary thing in the future will be having children. But the social pressure is just so strong, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up getting engaged next year when it is our 10 year anniversary.
I can’t quite remember the rules, since they’re on softspoken’s blog, and I’m at work where sometimes blogspot sites don’t work, I think they are:
* write seven random things about yourself
* link back to the person who tagged you
* tag seven people and let them know you have.