This week I’m going to do the Capsule Wardrobe Challenge as proposed by Jane of the the Small Fabric of my Life. I’m too late to take part in the the ‘official’ 2009 version, but I’ve been inspired by Kate of Make Do Style’s efforts to try it myself and it’s taken me a while to get myself sorted.
The rules allow for 10 items from your wardrobe and 5 accessories. Underwear and hosiery are unlimited.
The original challenge was actually only supposed to be for five days, but I didn’t read it properly and thought it was for seven. I’ve decided to stick with that and see how I get on. To make up for the two extra days, I’m allowing my coat not to be part of the ten items (the original rule state coat isn’t additional as its ‘only autumn’! But its freezing up here in Scotland in October!). I also thought that the shoes counted as accessories and didn’t notice my mistake until the last minute. So I’m counting one of my pairs of shoes as an accessory, and one as an item of clothing.
This whole thing is complicated by the fact that I am a very schizophrenic dresser – I basically have work clothes that are sedate and classic and then I have fun clothes, which are bright, colourful and playful and often thrifted and/or vintage. If I had done this challenge in a non-work week, I would have chosen quite different items, but unfortunately work is a fact of life and so there is an unusual amount of black in there compared to the outfits I usually post.
Anyway, here’s what I did choose:
1. Black pencil skirt from Next
2. Black wide leg trousers from H&M, circa 1996!
3. Black dress from the charity shop, originally by George at ASDA
4. Navy and white stripy shirt from Warehouse
5. Black and white stripy top from People Tree
6. Purple short sleeved suit jacket from H&M
7. Yellow long sleeved top from People Tree
8. Red pussy bow blouse from the charity shop, originally from M&S
9. Blue ruffle design tank top, free with a magazine, label says Paul and Joe Sister
10. Brown and red Camper shoes – these don’t coordinate with anything, but they are the shoes I am currently wearing all the time. They are surpremely comfortable and I walk to work in them and then change into heels/smart shoes. They are also just about the only pair of non-boot shoes I have that are waterproof. And it is extremely like that at some point this week there will be torrential rain. Like I say, Scotland in October.
1. Black wedge shoes from Schuh
2. Black leather handbag from Tula. I wear it every day anyway.
3. Multicoloured flower brooch, handknitted and felted by me especially to coordinate with these clothes.
4. Orange cotton cowl, handknit by me. I’ve been wearing this non-stop recently too.
5. Patent red belt from Accessorize
That’s it! See the colours in the close up pictures at the top, and because I couldn’t get decent photos of the clothes in their entirety, you’re getting some drawings: