I have a three things to get through today:
1. Going red for heart disease
Today is the US American Heart Association’s Going Red for Women day, to raise awareness of heart disease being the number one killer of women in that country. That’s why today’s picture is mainly red. Heart disease has and is sadly affecting both mine and Dave’s families, as I’m sure it is many of your families. Thankfully heart disease is also something where preventative action through a healthy lifestyle can make a huge difference – so go and educate yourself!
Oh, and in the UK the equivalent day is the 25th of February – wear red day, so I’ll be posting a red outfit and the info again then.
Do consider making a donation to your national heart disease charity – ater all this is as much about fundraising as about awareness raising!
Thank you to what andie wears for getting the Friend Friday bloggers involved in this.
2. Outdoor pictures
After last week’s Friend Friday questions about where people take their outfit pictures, I decided to give outdoor pics another try. I was off on Monday and I was taking the compost out into the garden anyway (I live in a maindoor flat and have to access the garden through next door’s tenement staircase, so it’s a bit of a faff), I thought I’d take some pictures while most neighbours were at work.
It didn’t take *that* much longer, but it was quite nerve racking whether anyone would come out and ask me what i was up to, so I felt quite rushed and I don’t think I’ll be be making a habit of it. I’m not sure it looks that much better either – the colour of the brick is the same colour as my hair and the fact that the wall is so dark round the bottom makes it difficult to find an exposure setting that’s right for everything.
What do you think?
vintage stripy dress – etsy
skirt, belt – charity shop
shoes – merrell
coat – h&m, £15 in the sale last year. It is the warmest coat I have. (please excuse the weird facial expression, i only took the coat pics to test the light)
3. Friend Friday: blog events
Linking back to 1., today’s Friend Friday topic is blog events/challenges/memes. I think this is all inspired by so many people doing the 30 for 30, and some people moaning about how ‘some of these ‘blogging events’ are full of people just interested in jumping on the bandwagon and trying to
garner a little more fame out of it’. Since I’ve been barely reading any blogs for a while now other than visiting those of the people that commented on mine, I don’t really know the details of this, so I’ll pretty much ignore it and just answer the questions.
1. With all the blogging events out there how do you determine which ones to participate in and which ones to avoid?
There are two reasons why will participate:
(1) the event fits easily with what I do anyway. So anything involving one-off outfits, like today’s heart disease thing or Everybody, Everywear. The reason I am not doing 30 for 30 is that I am not a daily outfit blogger, so taking a picture every day would be a major overhaul for me. I have done Jane’s Capsule Wardrobe Challenge a couple of times before and taking pictures continuously for a week is about as much as I can handle, at least while daylight hours are so restricted.
(2) the event will push me into producing great content. The Friend Friday itself is a great example of this. These posts are a lot of work, but have resulted in some pretty good posts, even if I do say so myself!
2. Be honest, have you ever jumped on the bandwagon of some blogging movement/event for the wrong reasons? How did that turn out?
The wrong reasons? No, not really. If I take part in something it’s because I want to. I’m not totally buying this participation to seek fame thing anyway. Does being one of potentially hundreds of participants really give you a shot at being famous? Not likely, unless you are also amazing in other ways!
I do remember one thing I did that I probably wouldn’t have if I had thought it through properly was 4 simple goals. I saw this on someone’s blog and thought it would be a good thing to do, and it was, because it made me think. But then I never linked back to this post, even when I did technically provide updates on some of these goals, I didn’t make that explicit. I just sort of let it fizzle out. Which I guess is fine, and nothing to do with it being ‘the wrong reasons’ but has taught me that long term blog things aren’t ideal for me. I always have a million ideas of what I want to talk about, so I tend to forget.
3. How do you give your own flair to a blog event while still maintaining the general mission and purpose?
I just chatter away, innit!
Sometime I’ll do a blog challenge just because it’s fun, not because the purported aim of the challenge. A lot of challenges are about remixing more, not shopping, wearing more colour, making use of unloved items etc. Not to be too full of myself, but really I don’t feel I’m doing too badly in any of these departments, I don’t necessarily need something to jolt me out of my habits. Also some of these challneges aren’t that challenging for me (turns out accessories are excluded from 30×30! eh?). So I am open about that, and I don’t pretend I’ve had some magical conversion when I haven’t.
4. When determining the best content for your blog what criterion do you keep in mind?
That I like it! That’s the main thing really. I try to post what I would like to read.
I do try to maintain a sort of core of outfit posts, at least twice a week, and I do the Friend Friday most weeks, but apart from that, I’m pretty easy. I just post about whatever I fancy, be it knitting, photography, food, art and design, and so on and so forth. If one day I feel like talking about music or film, I will. I also do try and do some substantive/serious/thinky posts semi-regularly, so I’m not just coasting on pretty pictures.
5. While everything will not suit your blog, how do you try and support your fellow bloggers who are participating in something worthwhile but not your style?
Just because I’m not doing something doesn’t mean I won’t comment on other people’s who are doing it. I’m loving all the 30 by 30 outfits just now! So I guess commenting is the main thing. If it was something I really fancied doing, but couldn’t for whatever reason participate in myself, I’ll also post about it to let others know via this here blog.
Et voila, c’est tout! Que pensez vous, mes amis?
p.p.s. I do apologise for the length of this post. I had no time to edit and cut!