These are the best vegan cupcakes I’ve made so far, so I thought I’d share the recipe that I got off my colleague. The recipe is American, so the measurements are in cups, but since I can’t make head nor tail of this, I’ve translated them into weights and volumes as well.
- 225g/1.5 cups plain flour
- 250g/1 cup caster sugar
- 3tbsp cocoa powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- half a tsp salt
- 250ml/1 cup of water
- 80ml/ a third of a cup of sunflower oil
- 1tsp white vinegar
- 2 packets of vanilla sugar/1tsp vanilla essence
- 3tbsp chopped nuts (optional, I used pistachios)
- Preheat the oven t 175C.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb, vanilla sugar (if using) and salt into a bowl.
- Mix up water, oil, vinegar and vanilla essence (if using) up in a separate container.
- Make a dip in the dry ingredients and slowly mix in the water mix. Beat until smooth. This will be very runny, don’t worry! Mix in the nuts now if using.
- Pour into cupcake cases. This will make 8 muffins or 12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on cupcake size