Remember how I mentioned that when I went on the Crafter’s Ceilidh blogger meet and was inspired to do some sewing? Well, this is the fruit of my labours!
It’s the Danielle dress from burdastyle, one of their few remaining free patterns. Dave already made me this dress before, so I thought it would be a good second project for me to do (my first and only previous effort was this Linda circle skirt), since I could always ask him for help if I got stuck. I cut the patterns out in June or July last year but then wedding stuff got in the way and then it was winter so there was no point. But I was determined to finish it before moving to Brussels.
Anyway, I managed to do it without nearly as much help from Dave as I was expecting. He explained the instructions to me before I started and I asked him about putting in the zip, but apart from that I just went and did it. Though I did have lots of help with the sewing machine, which is a monster that keeps breaking and I’m shit at fixing technology. And I still don’t know how to wind a bobbin, I’m so lazy! And now of course I’m moving so I won’t have a chance to keep it up.
Anyway, I’m pleased with how it turned out. I decided to leave the sleeves off and leave it slightly longer so I wouldn’t end up with two identical dresses. There are a few things that aren’t quite right, I abandoned the instructions because I didn’t have the sleeves and sewed on the lining at the top before sewing the front and back together, so the seams at the shoulders don’t quite match up. I also cut one of the back skirt panels the wrong way round, and ploughed in for quite a while thinking I could just adapt it to make the skirt narrower, before admitting that I probably shouldn’t run before I can walk and cutting a new piece and taking apart a lot of seams. It also looks really messy on the inside. when Dave made this dress, he zigzagged all the pattern pieces to stop the edges unraveling, but I forgot about that, so I have to hope the fabric will hold up by itself. Which it should.
But overall, I’m very happy. And again, it was so cheap! The fabric is a sheet I got from the salvation army for about £2-£3, and all I bought was the zip. Sewing, unlike knitting, really is a thrifty way of acquiring clothes! Not that I need any clothes of course!
Final note on the outfit: Those are my new boots! They’re almost walked in enough for day to day use, though so far I’ve just worn them to work and back. I love their clompyness!
dress – I made it * top under – I dyed it red, originally AA * boots – clarks originals * coat – found in the street * hat – I made it * tiger gloves – gift *