This is what I wore on my birthday during the day, to have a wander round town in the sun with our visitors, get stuff at the farmers market, lunch at wagamamas, a bit of fabric shopping for the sewing class I’ll be starting soon (which was a birthday present from Dave), that kind of thing.
There’s a couple of things about this outfit: first, the shoes are new. They are saltwater sandals and I have debated for probably a couple of years now whether I should get some. Since I chucked my one pair of sandals at the end of last summer, now was the time. I feel pretty good about these. They aren’t as OMGmagical comfy as I’ve heard some bloggers and instagrammers, the soles are pretty thin, not in a bad way, but you are close to the ground. They are also a bit on the narrow side, and I really don’t have wide feet.
However. The upper bit does not give me blisters. This has literally never happened with any other sandal I’ve owned, ever. They always take time to walk in. But with these, that was my first time wearing them, I walked miles and miles and nothing happened. I am writing this in Copenhagen and I did get a blister on the sole of my foot on day three of super urban walking holiday, but it didn’t burst and was almost gone the next day, and completely gone the day after. I do hope no one finds blister chat disgusting, but it’s an important consideration!
The other thing about the outfit is the top, which is my first Sorbetto. I used what looks like a 100% cotton sheet which I have no recollection of acquiring (possibly a swap? Not sure I would ever have bought pink fabric, even a sheet in a charity shop). I used it because I didn’t mind if it ended up not working. Which is kinda what happened. As you can see (or maybe not actually since I’ve put my arms on my waist), the fit is pretty atrocious. The darts are too high, but mainly it’s the armholes that are all wrong. They really gape! I don’t know if the dart thing or the armhole thing are connected or what, I guess I’ll find out on version 2. I should probably do some reading. Maybe this mysthical FBA (which I still have idea what that actually is!) will fix.
I’m pretty pleased with the top otherwise though. I didn’t manage to get my stitching straight when sewing on the bias binding, so I handstitched it on instead. It took a while, but it looks good. Or at least good for my experience level! I also learned how to do french seams, not nearly as hard as I thought! What I thought were french seams are actually flat felled seams, which are obvs more fiddly. I’m gonna french seam all straight seams from now on!
top – I made it * blazer – thrifted * skirt h&m * sandals – saltwater sandals * flower brooch – I made it * birthday girl brooch – present * earrings – present *