≡ Menu

Seventies duvet Onyx shirt

Paprika patterns Onyx shirt
Paprika patterns Onyx shirt
Paprika patterns Onyx shirt
Paprika patterns Onyx shirt

Today I’m showing you my second Onyx shirt. This ones has an FBA. I’m actually not 100% sure I’ve done this right, I followed this tutorial, but wasn’t sure how much to add at the bit where you stick on the new paper. I could have pivoted the pattern a lot more to make a bigger dart if I’d wanted to. I erred on the side of keeping it quite small though, partly because I want to make one with a large Donna Wilson print I got recently which will get messed up by a dart, and partly because my large cup size is breastfeeding related so comes and goes anyway. I definitely prefer the fit of this one over the unaltered size 5 anyway!

What else? I chose the high neckline this time, and annoyingly didn’t get it to lie as flat as my first attempt. Still looks fine though! I also added the cuffs this time. I’m not sure if I made a mistake or what, but they unrolled themselves quite a bit when I took off the top, so I ended up tacking them on all the way round, which somewhat ruins the effect! Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, the fabric! It’s a sheet made from cotton and terelene (I’ve no idea what that is but here’s a line in a suede song that goes ‘an elegant sir in a terelene shirt’ so it’s stuck in my head. What can I say, I was a teenager in the nineties). I didn’t inspect it much/at all before buying it as it was only £2. Turns out it’s a double sheet (no pillowcases) that someone had made into a single one. At least that’s what I think they did, it’s got two lines running down the long side anyway, leaving a roughly single duvet sizes space in the middle. It does seem like quite a strange thing to do though, it’s not as if single duvets are hard to come by.

I really liked the print to start off with, then I went off it and was prepared write the whole thing off as basically just another trial run, but now I’ve worn it out I actually really like it again! I’ve got ridiculous amounts of the fabric left though, and I’m not sure I need more than one top in that fabric. Maybe I could use it as a contrast thing for colour locked things though. For now it’s going back in the stash.

Next up in going to attempt either a sleeveless version or one with long sleeves!

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • Mother of Reinvention 28 August 2015, 12:25 pm

    What a lovely top and so great to have made it out of a sheet. I have a few vintage ones for the same purpose but am scared to cut into them as they are “too nice”. 🙂 Xx

  • lorena 8 September 2015, 8:53 pm

    I love your new top and you’re looking mighty pretty Franca.