≡ Menu

Lionberry shawl in pastelly yellow

Lionberry shawl
Lionberry shawl
Lionberry shawl
Lionberry shawl

Autumn is here and my knitting mojo is back! I had to have a long time off due to some pretty serious RSI type pain, but that’s mysteriously disappeared (I’m not complaining, obviously, it’s just strange that it would hang around even after two months of rest, and then just disappear by itself), so I could get back to it. I’d forgotten just how much I enjoy making things with my hands and watching it grow stitch by stitch.

The pattern is the Lionberry, it uses one skein of sock yarn, so perfect for the random single I’d acquired at a destash event the Edinburgh Yarn fest people held at some point. It’s a slightly paler and colder yellow than the mustardy shades I usually go for (though interestingly, not too dissimilar from my profile illustration in the right hand column there), but I figure it’s a very wintery way of doing colour.

The pattern is super popular on ravelry, but I did not have the easiest time with it. The whole thing is written row by row, no charts, so it’s really difficult to figure out what’s supposed to be happening, and I’m pretty sure there are some mistakes in the pattern (which is totally fine, this is a free pattern and you can’t expect the same level of checking). I’m not the most precise knitter at the best of times, and when I ended up with the wrong number of stitches at the end of a row, I just increased/decreased to make it up, which then had knock on effects for the next row, cue more fudging etc etc. It took me until after the wide lace section to get back on track with a number of stitches that made sense, and as a result, everything up to then is pretty dodgy. When you look at the pattern photos, that wide lace section looks beautiful, whereas I’ve really just got a random selection of holes.

Lionberry

But despite these issues, I’m really happy with it! I was a bit worried as I was knitting it that it was going to be way too small, but I managed to add another eight additional rows at the end (and could have squeezed another two in I’m sure if I’d had the nerve), and after some pretty aggressive blocking, it stretched to the perfect size. The crescenty shape works really well and makes this so wearable. The way I’ve draped it in the photos at the top was to show it off to maximum effect, but I’ve actually ended up wearing it like the instagram photo directly above, with the widest bit at the front, and because it’s curved like that it doesn’t need to be tied together at all.

It’s certainly got a lot of good feedback, I wore it to work today and started chatting about knitting with three people who I don’t usually, so it’s definitely a conversation starter!

P.S. Look at our grass! That was like 70% moss back in spring!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Next post:

Previous post: