Happy New year all!
A thing has been going round the sewing/crafty Instagram world recently – ‘2017 Make 9’. It’s named in response to the ‘2016 best 9’ thing that’s also been going round, which picks your most liked 9 posts out, and is basically about sharing 9 things you plan to make in 2017, so I thought I’d play along. I’ve left out things I’ve made before, like another Ginger-Onyx combo, and another Plantain.
So, here we are:
1. An Emery dress. I bought this years and years ago and am finally attempting it. If you follow me on instagram, you might have seen I am currently wrangling with the bodice fit. I’m plowing ahead with the one I’m making as I’m too far into it to be able to make the changes needed, but after that I’m doing a proper toile. I have some liberty fabric I bought for this pattern, and a wedding in may that I hope to wear a handmade dress for, that’s my plan!
2. Waiting for Rain shawl. This is what I will make with the two skeins of speckled gray la bien aimee yarn I got at last years Edinburgh Yarn festival. It was going to be the thing I was going to wear to this year’s, but I’ve just realised I’m actually on a hen weekend then, so I don’t have a deadline.
3. A Moneta dress. I got this pattern when Colette allowed you to use Seamwork credits on Colette patterns. (Mine are now all spent and I’m happily unsubscribed). I have a very similar RTW dress from ASOS that I wear all the time, so I’m hoping to get this pattern to a point where I can make them quickly and make a few.
4. Colour Affection shawl. As per post the other day, this is to use up three bits of sock yarn I’ve got. I’ve decided this is the only pattern that is really going to work with the amounts I’ve got. I’m hoping to give this as a present, depending on how long it takes me to make.
5. A Lexi dress. I bought this in the 2015 end of year sales. I’m a bit apprehensive as I understand Named draft for a very flat chested body shape, and I’m not sure what this will look like with an FBA, but I intend to find out!
6. Belcarra blouse. Got this pattern from a swap. It has the potential to be a staple and to be used for all these random 1 -1.5 m bits of fabric I’ve got kicking about
7. Lola cardigan. I only discovered this recently and really like it. I’ve got some yellow bamboo jersey I could use for this (bought with the intention of making the Seamwork Elmira, which I ended up not getting on account of being able to get actual patterns with my credits), though I’m not sure this doesn’t want something more stable, and also it’s finished with bias binding? Not top of the list but I am in the market for cardigans as I wear my two Julias constantly and most of my RTW ones have died, and this seems a bit different.
8. Peppermint leaves hat. I bought the tea collection recently to make Christmas presents with, and Dave has got a skein of the exact yarn used for this sample left over from his epic octopus knitting (more on which soon!), it would be rude not to.
9. Something from the Burda Style magazine. I got a subscription for Christmas and hope to use it to make a lot of staples.
We’ll see how far I get into that list!