More sewing! This is version 2 of the Burda 03/2017 112, now in dress length with a couple of adjustments and some new problems. I did a full biceps adjustment, which worked a treat, and shortened the darts slightly, which was also fine. The new problem was the width. I ended up taking an inch out on either side (so 4 inches in total), and it’s still a wee bit on the big side round the top. It’s so odd, since I used the same pattern pieces as version 1 (with adjusted darts of course, but I don’t see how that adds width). I did forget to take out the central seam allowance when cutting on the fold (the pattern has you cut two pieces and sew them together for no discernible reason), but then I’m 99% sure I also did that in version 1. I’ve bought fancy Japanese Nani Iro fabric to make this as a dress for a wedding but now I don’t know if it’s actually too big or not, so I’m having to do another practice version to figure it out. Which is no hardship of course!
The fabric here is more liberty, I bought it to make an emery with. I really love the print, but I’m not totally sure what I was thinking with the colours. I don’t really wear black much, and those are defo cold shades of the greens and oranges and it’s universally agreed I’m a warm colours person. I think I chose that print because it’s sort of non-directional (the wee birds go in two directions). But anyway, while it’s not possibly a perfect match my non-existent capsule wardrobe, I do like this dress a lot and will wear it loads!
The other thing here is the vintage suede coat, which I bought on impulse in a charity shop when I had some time to kill waiting for a repair. It fits pretty well, which is rare with vintage at my new size, but it does have that fusty smell about it, and I’m not really wearing it because of that. I did a bit of googling and will try spraying it with vinegar and maybe that activated charcoal stuff, but if that doesn’t work, I will just donate it back and write off the £25 as a straight donation to Barnados.