So remember how I made three identical dresses? Well, this was the reason for it – this is version number 4, which I made for going to a wedding. The fabric is beautiful nani iro double gauze, shipped all the way from Japan. I really, really didn’t want to mess this up, and thankfully I didn’t! Because of the border print I needed to be super careful with the cutting out of the pattern pieces. My usual approach is very slapdash, I tend to just cut things off and turn things under more in the hemming if things don’t quite align. But obviously that wasn’t an option here, and I had very little white space to play with to turn under underneath the border. It was stressful, let me tell you, but I managed! Unfortunately I wasn’t quite as careful with the placement of the border on the sleeves, so I had to choose between them both being the same length or them both having the print the same way. I chose the print, and I don’t think you can tell unless you know.
So that’s the sewing chat done, now let me show you what happened when we tried to take photos. The first photos is obviously just me and Dave in our wedding finery (with Dave looking well grumpy), then this happened:
Finishing off with some individual photos