Sewing post alert! I made this dress a while back, to wear to the Edinburgh Frocktails sewing blogger night out, there was an instagram post from before I went out, but it was pretty much dark by the time we all got there so pictures of the actual night are sadly pretty crap, so none here! So anyway, I’ve worn it a few times since and on Saturday I finally took some pictures. I discovered an amazing location nearby, with lots of different backgrounds and no people*, so I’m not relying on Dave’s increasingly unwilling attempts at outfit photos. I love the light in these photos and the autumnal leaves where exactly what I had in mind! Squinting a bit where the sun had come out, but we can’t have it all!
The pattern is 112 from the April 2017 burda magazine. This is actually my second go at it, the first was the shirt version of this which I made at a sewing day with Edinburgh Sewcial club, but have yet to add the poppers onto. It is not actually an unmitigated success, for a number of reasons.
Firstly, the fabric is not what I thought it was when I bought it at all (from a random online fabric shop that I actually now can’t remember). It was labelled as lightweight, and that’s what I was after, something quite floaty and drapey. Well, it’s actually quilting weight, argh! I decided to keep it as I do like the print and I actually think it works ok as an everyday dress, but going outey it is not. In fact, in some of the pictures its got a slight uniformey feel about it, the service industry kind kind that comes in one size to fit everyone. But thankfully only in some!
Secondly, I stuffed up my tracing pretty badly. Having already made the shirt, I only needed to retrace two of the pieces. Unfortunately I had a brain fart and forgot to add the seam allowances to those two and didn’t realise until I’d already cut the fabric. This meant the top back piece and all the other body pieces didn’t align, and I had to cut them which made the sleeves not fit properly. There’s definitely something not quite right with them. I was also worried it was going to be too tight over the hips on account of those 3cms missing, but thankfully narrowing the seam allowance a bit was enough to stop that from happening. But overall, this isn’t quite as the pattern. I would like to make another one in slinky fabric and done properly!
The other thing I want to talk about is the bag. Earlier in the year I wanted to get a new hadbag, but I just couldn’t find what I had in mind and eventually ended up looking at bags costing about £400, which is clearly ridiculous. I asked in the In Colourful Company facebook group for recommendations for yellow bags and someone recommended their friend All Made by Maria. She’s just developing her range of bags to sell but takes I hadn’t really considered commissioning something but the more I searched, the more that seemed like a good idea, so i got in touch and we worked something out. It was fun to make all these little decisions! The original idea was inspired by the Book Bag by Red House Vermont, but in the end it’s ended up looking quite different but no less fun. The materials are such good quality and it’s got all the pockets I’ll ever need, I totally love it and couldn’t be happier!
* I don’t know why I’m being secretive here, it’s nothing dodgy. It’s the old blind school building, which only houses the blind press these days and no doubt will be turned into flats soon, but for now is outfit blogger heaven!