… well, that’s what I first wore it for. It’s actually a sort of universally appropriate dress.
This is probably the most elaborate thing I’ve made to date. It certainly seems like it from the amount of compliments I got when wearing it and people’s reactions when I said I made it. Usually people are like ‚oh cool‘ but not surprised whereas people seemed to genuinely think it was impressive. So, yeah!
The pattern is from the burda magazine, the darted dress 10/2017 no.103, and it’s actually just a two star difficulty pattern (in too scared to venture into three stars), but it is quite unusual in its construction as it looks like princess seams but is actually darts.
I initially wasn’t sure I was going to make this since I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to do an FBA on this, as it’s all just one pattern piece. I asked on instagram and my sewing mates seemed pretty stumped too (and of course it turned out that most of them never do FBAs anyway) though a couple of people tagged famous pattern designer and they kindly responded. One just said ‘do it like a princess seam FBA’ which wasn’t mad helpful, but the other engaged a bit more with it and said that she would just fudge it and add some width at the side and that doing it properly would mean basically changing the whole pattern piece.
In the end I decided not to do anything and just take my chances with the pattern as drafted. It is definitely close fitting round the boobs but has quite a bit of ease elsewhere, but it feels and looks fine I think. There is a bit of pulling in the pictures with my arms upIt helps that there is a tiny bit of stretch in the fabric, I have bought some cotton lawn for another version but am now unsure whether I should go ahead.
I made most of this at a sewing day organised by Christine, which was good because I had lots of handholding and a lend of tools from everyone. I did not get off to a good start, as the very first thing I did was burn a hole in the front pattern piece, but thankfully its not too noticeable with some black interfacting underneath. The rest of it went mostly fine. There’s still a couple of small things (the right sleeve is puffier than the left, there’s a small pucker in one of the bust darts) and one pretty big thing (the bottom of the zip on the back), but given the difficult fabric and not knowing this construction at all I’m very happy. I don’t see the back of me anyway!
The fabric is crepe from remnant kings, and I think the gorgeous purple blue colour is one of the main reasons why people are so positive about this dress. It did fray loads, and I’m not sure I’ll be rushing to make another crepe thing soon, but it was worth it!
By the way, I said I deserved a medal for taking pictures of a sleeveless top in 2 degrees. Well, I can reliably report that taking pictures of a dress, even one with sleeves, in minus 5 is MUCH worse.